Mileage Tax Relief Calculator

Use the mileage tax relief calculator to work out how much you can claim

Just enter the rate at which you pay tax, and the number of business miles you've driven. The mileage tax relief calculator will let you know how much your claim is worth.*


*This calculator only provides an estimate and doesn’t take into consideration any mileage paid by your employer.

Claiming Mileage Tax Relief

How much can I claim back per mile?

The mileage tax relief calculator uses the current approved mileage rates of 45p per mile for the first 10,000 business miles and 25p per mile for every business mile after that.

The rate at which you pay tax can affect the amount you are owed. For example if you pay tax at 40% and the total figure you are claiming is £2000 you will receive a mileage tax rebate of £800 (which is 40% of £2000).

How far back can I claim for a mileage tax refund?

You can claim mileage tax relief for the last four tax years. You don’t need to be with the same employer to be able to claim.

Am I eligible to claim mileage tax back?

Many people are unaware that claiming mileage tax relief is possible and miss out on what they are entitled to. However claiming mileage is not allowable for normal commuting to and from one place of work, and you will only be eligible to claim a mileage tax refund if you travel to a temporary workplace.

I’m paid by my employer… can I still claim a mileage tax refund?

It depends on how much you are paid and if it is taxed.

Taxed mileage allowance:

A taxed mileage allowance paid by your employer means you can still claim back the full approved mileage rates.

Untaxed mileage allowance:

If you’re paid an untaxed mileage allowance a claim will only be possible on the difference between the approved mileage rates, and what you are paid by your employer. If your employer has paid you the full approved mileage rates and not taxed it, you become ineligible.

Do I need records to claim mileage tax relief?

Having records is helpful but not always necessary. We can talk you through what other options are available if actual records aren’t available.

How do I claim my mileage tax back?

We specialise in reclaiming mileage tax relief. The rules are complex meaning it’s really important you only try and claim your legitimate entitlements, otherwise you will face questions and delays.

We are trusted by countless trades men and professionals to claim their mileage tax refund. With a 98% success rate and average mileage rebate of over £2500 you should make a claim today.

Some of the people we have helped:

  • Carers and healthcare workers
  • Sales people
  • Construction workers
  • Estate agents

Many people are eligible to claim mileage tax back. The important thing to remember is that your job title is not relevant to the eligibility criteria. Clocking up business mileage in your own private vehicle makes a successful claim very likely.

Our mileage tax rebate team will:

  • Ensure your claim is put together by professional, fully regulated accountants.
  • Relieve stress and save time with our tried and tested procedures.
  • Monitor the progress of your mileage tax relief claim to ensure it is completed by HMRC in a timely fashion.
  • Guarantee an optimised tax rebate that includes every allowance that applies to you.

Start my mileage claim today...

Contact us today & get a FREE eBook

“11 Ways to Pay Less Tax”

1 Just fill out the form below and we'll do the rest...

Fields marked with * are compulsory.

Please leave this field empty.

globalsign aat

2 OR call our tax experts 0845 094 0005 or 01228 520477...

3 OR email us at

Other tax rebate calculators:


Over £2,000 tax rebate

As a builder, Mark didn’t think he was entitled to any travel tax relief. He just went to the site every day and got some mileage from his employer. But then he had a chat with Mick, one of our clients, and realised that he was actually in the position to claim back a substantial amount of tax relief. He had originally started work on one permanent site, but had then been sent to another construction job for its 9 month duration – which means we could apply for mileage to a ‘temporary workplace’ for him. Although his employer paid him some mileage, it wasn’t the full government allowance, so we could claim the difference. Added to this some tools he bought for work and a daily subsistence allowance and Mark ended up with over £2,000.

“Thank-you for all your help and advice. I’ll be keeping a travel log and receipts for next year’s claim.”

Mark, Construction worker, Cardiff, received over £2,000 Travel expenses tax relief


Back to Top
Back to Top