What is a P46 form?

HMRC’s reference for a P46 is an ‘Employee without the form P45’. You will usually fill in a P46 if you start a new job and your last P45 is unavailable.

The P46 tax form is important because it helps you pay the right amount of income tax. If you don’t have a P45, or fail to complete a P46, your employer will normally need to use an emergency tax code against your salary, meaning you can over pay tax.

To get help from the tax office about your P46 or P45, call HMRC.

To discover if HMRC owes you a tax rebate, read on.

Do I need a P46 tax form?

The most common reasons why you would need a P46 tax form are because:

  • you can’t provide your new employer with your last P45 form
  • you are starting your first ever job
  • you are starting a second job without leaving your current employment

Completing a P46 tax form is your responsibility and you should not assume your employer will fill in a P46 for you.

What facts do I need at my fingertips to complete a P46?

All the different tax forms need your basic personal information, plus the details pertaining to that specific form’s purpose. The P46 form requires a range of financial information, such as whether you make student loan repayments or are in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance. Certain details about your tax code are also requested, along with some basic personal information.

Where do I get a P46 tax form?

If you don’t have a P45 your new employer should provide you with the P46 form to fill in. Once you’ve completed and signed the P46, your new employer will pass it on to the tax office. If you are an employer and need a blank P46 form you click here to go to HMRC’s P46 page.

Could you be missing out on your tax rebate?

If you’re finding out about a P46 it’s a good time to ask yourself, “Can I claim a tax rebate?”

You could well be owed money you didn’t even know about and claims can be backdated for the last four tax years.

Input your details into the easy tax rebate contact form below to to find out how much your could be owed.

Are you due a tax rebate? Find out today...

Contact us today & get a FREE eBook

“11 Ways to Pay Less Tax”

1 Fields marked with * are compulsory.

Tell us about yourself
Full Name*
Phone number

Address Look Up

Address Line 1*
Address Line 2

Town or City
Post Code*

Tell us about your job
What's your job title?*
Do you wash your own uniform or protective clothing for work?*

 Yes No

How many years have you washed your own uniform or protective clothing for work?
Do you travel to different places of work using your own car or public transport? For example a builder traveling to different building sites
 Yes No
What's your tax code taken from a recent payslip? For example 1234L

Please leave this field empty.



2 OR call our tax experts 01228 520477...

3 OR email us at

Are you due a tax rebate?

Use the tax rebate calculator to find out

Tax Rebate Calculator

Use the calculator to work out how much tax you can reclaim.


More Income Tax Forms:


Back to Top
Back to Top