What is an OT tax code?

The tax code OT means that you have no tax free personal allowance.

Not having any tax free personal allowance can result in you paying more income tax than is necessary, because you don’t have a correct tax code.

Why do I have the tax code OT?

The main causes of being given the OT tax code are:

  • You’ve started a new job and you can’t give your new employer your last P45 and didn’t complete a P46
  • Your tax free personal allowance has been used up
  • You have started with a new employer and couldn’t give them all the information they need to give you a tax code

How much income tax do I pay with an OT tax code?

The amount of income tax you will pay with the OT tax code is the same as if you had the emergency tax code of BR.

The percentage you will pay depends on how much you earn.

Normally you will pay 20% income tax on all of your taxable earnings

If you are a higher rate tax payer this will increase to 40%, and higher in some cases.

Am I due an OT tax code tax rebate?

If you have had an OT tax code it’s possible you will overpay income tax and be due a tax rebate. So, if you have had an OT tax code incorrectly in the previous 4 years, you could be owed a backdated tax rebate.

How do I change my OT tax code?

To change or check the accuracy of your OT tax code call HMRC on 0300 200 3300.

Tax Refunds

When querying your tax code it’s recommended that you assess the rest of your tax position, to ensure you are claiming what you are entitled to because of your job. We can help review this for you so get in touch today by completing our easy online form below or call us on 01228 520477.

Are you due a tax rebate? Find out today...

Contact us today & get a FREE eBook

“11 Ways to Pay Less Tax”

1 Fields marked with * are compulsory.

Tell us about yourself
Full Name*
Phone number

Address Look Up

Address Line 1*
Address Line 2

Town or City
Post Code*

Tell us about your job
What's your job title?*
Do you wash your own uniform or protective clothing for work?*

 Yes No

How many years have you washed your own uniform or protective clothing for work?
Do you travel to different places of work using your own car or public transport? For example a builder traveling to different building sites
 Yes No
What's your tax code taken from a recent payslip? For example 1234L

Please leave this field empty.



2 OR call our tax experts 01228 520477...

3 OR email us at

More Tax Codes:




Back to Top
Back to Top

4.91 Average

70 Reviews


Happy with the service provided, made the process very easy, however the 25% fee does not highlight the fact that VAT will be charged on top, good service service none the less.

Posted 4 days ago


TaxRebateServices were very helpful during the whole process. They handled everything quickly and were very very responsive to any questions I had. Just fill in the forms and they do the rest.

Posted 1 week ago


All that helped were excellent, they kept me in the loop as to all the information that was getting thrown about! Brilliant service.

Posted 1 week ago


Great efficient service friendly staff it’s so easy you would be stupid not to use taxRebateServices. 10 out of 10 100% recommendation :)

Posted 2 weeks ago


Fantastic professional staff and helped turn a complicated process into something simple. Thank you

Posted 2 weeks ago


Very impressed with their swift handling and informative approach to claiming my tax back for the last 4 years. Tony and Paul made sure all my paperwork was correct in easy step by step processes. Will definitely use their service again. Many Thanks

Posted 2 weeks ago


Excellent service,constant updates and always replied to my e-mails.

Posted 2 weeks ago


Very professional company.I found the company online and they were able successfully to claim back overpaid tax on my pension saving me time and stress trying to deal with the Hmrc from overseas

Posted 4 weeks ago


Paul and Tony were extremely helpful and professional. I highly recommend tax rebate services. They were prompt (I had been conversing from Sydney), and friendly. Thanks so much.

Posted 4 weeks ago


I was afraid to entrust my tax rebate to anyone because of the numerous scammers out there, but TaxRebateService proved to be one of a kind. A company full of integrity. My rebate was processed and transferred to my account with an unbelievable ease.

Posted 1 month ago