UK Tax Back Calculator

It doesn’t matter where you're from we’ve helped people from Australia to Zambia to get back the UK tax they are owed.

Use the calculator to work out how much tax you can reclaim.

Tax Rebate Calculator
How much could I claim? »

Have you left or leaving the UK? Calculate your UK tax back today

The UK tax back calculator is free and can help establish your potential tax rebate figure.

The calculator can be used by both overseas workers and UK expats. The calculator gives you an estimate of what you might be owed from your pay and tax figures. Other factors can mean you could receive a higher tax rebate, depending on your own set of circumstances.

Our UK tax back calculator provides an estimation only and does not ask for any personal information.

Not leaving the UK? We have other calculators for you too – calculate your Tax Back.

What do I need to use the UK tax back calculator?

In most cases you need your final P45 or P60 from your last employer in the UK. Your final P45 or P60 should show all of your income and tax paid in the tax year you leave.

The UK tax back calculator uses the figures to work out an estimate of what you may be owed back for that tax year.

What tax back can I claim if I leave the UK?

It’s really important to know what else you can claim tax back for because you could be owed more than you think.

You can make a claim for the following at the same time as making a leaving the UK tax refund claim:

This is not an exhaustive list with our free income tax guides here to highlight other areas of tax that may be relevant to you.

Is there a timescale to claiming tax back?

Tax can be reclaimed for the last four years only, so it’s worth checking for as far back as you can go. Because of the deadline trying to make a claim as soon as you can is always recommended to ensure you don’t lost out on money you are owed.

Other timescales can apply if you are claiming for capital allowances or for overpaid national insurance contributions.

How do I claim my UK tax back?

You can normally do it yourself by using HMRC’s free online service. Making a UK tax back claim as quickly as you can is recommended to avoid missing the PAYE or self assessment deadlines.

If you do not have to complete a self assessment tax return for the year in which you leave the UK you should complete a form P85 which is the official HMRC form for people who are leaving the UK.

Form P85 leaving the UK

The P85 form can be completed and submitted online directly to HMRC using the government gateway.

You can also complete the P85 on screen, print it off and then post it to HMRC to the address provided on the form.

The P85 can be submitted at the point of leaving the UK meaning you don’t need to wait until the tax year ends to make your claim.

Self Assessment tax return when leaving the UK

A P85 should not be needed if you have to complete a self assessment tax return for the year in which you leave the UK.

Your self assessment tax return for the year in which you leave can only be submitted after the tax year ends which means if you leave the UK before the tax year ends you will need to wait until after the 5th April to submit your tax return.

If you are due a leaving the UK tax refund this will be repaid to you by HMRC after your tax return has been processed and will be refunded as per the instructions on your return (usually by BACS to your UK bank account).

Leaving the UK tax back P800 tax calculation

HMRC will post you a form P800 tax calculation after they have processed your P85 to confirm how much tax back you are entitled to. Your P800 tax calculation will give you a breakdown of how HMRC calculated your tax refund.

You should check your P800 carefully to make sure the figures used are accurate. If you feel that something may not be correct you should call HMRC on the phone number shown on your P800.

Other Tax Rebate and Tax Refund Calculators:

Back to Top
Back to Top