Am I due a tax rebate?

It’s thought that one in three people are entitled to claim a tax rebate. That’s a lot of people and you could easily be one of them.

So much money goes unclaimed from the tax office, often due to a lack of knowledge or simply not having enough time to deal with the process. Getting to grips with your tax position can really pay off giving you money back and tax savings in the future.

Tax rebates explained

In simple terms a tax rebate is due when an employed person has paid too much tax during the course of a financial year, and is eligible to claim some back. Self employed tax payers can also be due a tax rebate through the Self Assessment system.

It is important for you to find out if you have overpaid, because in some circumstances you could miss out on your tax rebate entitlement.

How do I know if I am due a tax rebate?

A tax rebate can be claimed for a four year period so it is best to think about not just this financial year, but the four previous years too.

If you are employed, there are many ways in which you might qualify for a tax rebate. One of the main reasons is having expenses related to your job.

At Tax Rebate Services we find there is rarely, if ever a “one size fits all” scenario but we typically find that those asking “Am I Due A Tax Rebate” fall into one or more of the categories below:

  • Travel – Travelling as part of your job.
  • Uniform – Washing and maintaining uniform or safety clothing.
  • Tools and protective clothing – Items that you must pay for as part of your job.
  • Professional fees – When membership of a professional organisation or Trade Union is paid.
  • Leaving the UK –  If you have already emigrated, or are leaving, during a tax year, it is likely you can reclaim tax.
  • Pension tax relief – For those who contribute to a private pension and are higher rate tax payers.
  • Working from home – Household expenses like gas and electricity that you use because you have to work from home.

This list doesn’t include everything, like having an incorrect tax code, but gives you a good idea of what can be done. As part of our service we can help identify what is allowable for you.

Tax rebate timescales

There’s a four year limit before it’s too late to claim. This applies to both employed and self employed tax payers.

Good to know

  • It doesn’t matter what your job title is – if you’ve paid tax you are eligible.
  • Reclaiming a rebate on tax paid is perfectly legitimate – it is not the same as tax avoidance and doesn’t exploit any loopholes.
  • If you’re eligible it’s expected that you will claim but, if you don’t, you won’t get back the money that you are entitled to.

How do I get my tax rebate?

You can get your tax rebate by one of two methods:

1. By using Tax Rebate Services, who guarantees you will get every penny of your entitlement, you save yourself the time and hassle of claiming. We have a value for money, success-based fee policy that ensures no financial outlay or risk for you.

2. You can contact the tax office directly with no fee imposed. It can be a complicated, lengthy process and there is no guarantee that you will get all your eligible tax reliefs.

Make an enquiry today...

Contact us today & get a FREE eBook

“11 Ways to Pay Less Tax”

1 Fields marked with * are compulsory.

The following use
Tell us about yourself
Full Name*
Phone number

Address Look Up

Address Line 1*
Address Line 2

Town or City
Post Code*

Tell us about your job
What's your job title?*
Do you wash your own uniform or protective clothing for work?*

 Yes No

How many years have you washed your own uniform or protective clothing for work?
Do you travel to different places of work using your own car or public transport? For example a builder traveling to different building sites
 Yes No
What's your tax code taken from a recent payslip? For example 1234L

Please leave this field empty.



2 OR call our tax experts 01228 520477...

3 OR email us at

Are you due a tax rebate?

Find out and make your claim today...

Just select your industry from the field below and we'll calculate the average tax rebate.*


View other Tax Rebate Calculators »

*This calculator only provides an estimate and doesn’t take into consideration any mileage paid by your employer.

More Income Tax Rebates and Tax Refunds:


Back to Top
Back to Top