Am I due a tax rebate?
It’s thought that one in three people are entitled to claim a tax rebate and you could be one of them. Before understanding whether you are entitled to a rebate, let us first explain what it is.
What is a tax rebate?
In simple terms, it is when a paid employee has paid too much tax during the course of a financial year, and is eligible to claim some back.
It is important for you to find out if you have overpaid, because in some circumstances you could miss out on your tax rebate entitlement.
How do I know if I am due a tax rebate?
A tax rebate can be claimed for a four year period so it is best to think about not just this financial year, but the three previous years too.
If you are employed, there are many ways in which you might qualify for a tax rebate. One of the main reasons is having expenses related to your job. At Tax Rebate Services we find there is rarely, if ever a “one size fits all” scenario but we typically find that those asking “Am I Due A Tax Rebate” fall into one or more of the categories below:
- Travel – Travelling as part of your job
- Uniform – Washing and maintaining uniform or safety clothing
- Tools and protective clothing – Items that you must pay for as part of your job
- Professional fees – When membership of a professional organisation or Trade Union is paid
- Leaving the UK – If you have already emigrated, or are leaving, during a tax year, it is likely you can reclaim tax
- Pension tax relief – For those who contribute to a private pension and are higher rate tax payers
- Working from home – Household expenses like gas and electricity that you use because you have to work from home
Is it legitimate to be due a Tax Rebate?
- Reclaiming a rebate on tax paid is perfectly legitimate – it is not the same as tax avoidance and doesn’t exploit any loopholes.
- If you’re eligible it’s expected that you will claim and, if you don’t, you won’t get back the money that you are entitled to.
How do I get a tax rebate?
You can get your tax rebate by one of two methods:
1. Tax Rebate Services guarantees you will get every penny of your entitlement taking away the hassle of claiming. We have a success-based fee policy that ensures no financial outlay or risk for you.
2. You can contact the tax office directly with no fee imposed. It can be a complicated, lengthy process and there is no guarantee that you will get all your eligible tax reliefs.
*This calculator only provides an estimate and doesn’t take into consideration any mileage paid by your employer.