Tax Rebate For Uniform Guide

Are you responsible for laundering your work uniform? Then you could claim a tax rebate on your uniform maintenance costs. 

Many taxpayers are required to wear a uniform, branded clothing or safety garments for work and most of us just care for these items as a matter of course. Many taxpayers don’t realise that they are entitled to claim back uniform tax relief on the cost of cleaning their work gear.

Our Uniform Tax Rebate Guide informs you of your tax relief entitlements and the process you need to follow to recoup your money.

Are you eligible to claim a uniform tax rebate?

To be able to claim you must:

  • Have to wear a branded uniform as part of your job − like a nurse or fireman, or a shop worker; in some cases a uniform with a detachable name badge may be allowed.
  • Pay for the laundry costs of caring for your uniform yourself.
  • Not receive reimbursement for these costs, or be provided with laundering facilities at work (even if you don’t use them).
  • Be a taxpayer in the year you make your claim.

Need to know …

How much is a uniform claim worth?

The minimum uniform allowance value is £60 per tax year, rising up to £720 depending on what industry you work in. Use our Free Uniform Tax Calculator to see what your claim could be worth.

Can I only submit a uniform tax rebate claim for the current tax year?

No. You can make a claim for the last four tax years – even if you’ve changed employer in that time.

Do I already have the allowance in my tax code?

You might already have the uniform allowance in your code. If you have, you don’t need to claim again. We will check your tax code for you before you claim, so you don’t waste any time or effort. We will also review your full employment situation to make sure we maximise your tax relief claim by including every applicable allowance.

Do any other work expenses tax allowances apply to me?

You may be able to include other applicable tax reliefs on your Uniform Rebate submission. For example:

  • Membership fees for some professional bodies
  • Work travel, including public transport and using your private vehicle (not normal commuting)
  • Buying your own tools and protective clothing for work use

By adding all your entitlements together you can significantly increase the tax rebate you’re owed.

How to claim – we make it easy

Many taxpayers are too daunted by the regulations and process to even try and submit their legitimate tax relief claim. It is complicated and time consuming, so let us take the strain. We remove the stress factor and put in the hours to deal with your claim as quickly as possible.

Our fully qualified and professionally regulated accountants use their skill and experience to put together accurate, optimised claims for every client.




Start my uniform tax claim today...

Contact us today & get a FREE eBook

“11 Ways to Pay Less Tax”

1 Just fill out the form below and we'll do the rest...

Fields marked with * are compulsory.

Tell us about yourself
First Name*
Last Name*
House Name or Number*

Town or City
Post Code*
Phone number

Tell us about your job
What's your job title?*
Do you wash your own uniform or protective clothing for work?*

 Yes No

How many years have you washed your own uniform or protective clothing for work?
Do you travel to different places of work using your own car or public transport? For example a builder traveling to different building sites
 Yes No
What's your tax code taken from a recent payslip? For example 1234L

Please leave this field empty.



2 OR call our tax experts 0845 094 0005 or 01228 520477...

3 OR email us at

Uniform Rebate Calculator

Claim your tax rebate on uniform today

Just select your industry from the field below and we'll calculate the average rebate.*


View other Tax Rebate Calculators »

*This calculator only provides an average.


£325 tax rebate

Judy is a care worker in a Retirement Home and found us through a colleague’s recommendation. She thought that a Uniform Tax Rebate was only for government roles such as fire fighters, nurses and police officers. She had no idea that it applied to her job in the private sector. She is obliged to wear the company branded uniform, therefore we were able to claim a uniform tax rebate for her. We backdated it for 4 years, so she got a cheque for just over £300.

“Thank-you so much, my cheque has just arrived. I was a bit scared to try and claim anything, but you were very reassuring and made it all so easy. Thank-you. I’m off out to treat myself now!”

Judy, Care worker, Silloth - received just over £300 uniform refund


Back to Top
Back to Top