Construction Workers tax rebate guide

Employed in the construction industry? Pay for your own travel costs, tools or protective clothing?

It’s likely you will pay for work related expenses out of your own pocket and not get reimbursed by your employer or contractor. If you do you can claim back tax relief on some or all of those expenses for the last four tax years.

It’s common for construction workers to have both employed work under both PAYE and self employed income under the construction industry scheme. It’s important to know that many of the expenses allowable under self employment can also be claimed against PAYE work as well.

Tax Rebate Services has been supporting CIS and PAYE workers in the construction industry for over 15 years and invite you to read on to learn more about tax rebates in the construction sector.

Construction workers allowable expenses

It might surprise you to learn what construction workers who aren’t self employed can claim for. This includes:

  • Travel expenses  if you have to travel to different sites for less than 24 months, and use your own car, van, or motorbike, or even public transport
  • Tools if you buy your own tools and aren’t reimbursed by your employer
  • Protective clothing for example gloves and boots that aren’t supplied by your employer
  • Washing protective clothing or uniforms even if your employer supplies the clothing you can still claim if you have to pay for cleaning it
  • Accommodation and subsistence expenses if you’re not reimbursed in full by your employer or are paid an allowance which is taxed

Our handy tax guides give you more information on what you may be eligible to claim for.

Five things to know before you claim:

  • If you don’t claim you won’t get back what you’re owed
  • It doesn’t affect your employer or contractor
  • You don’t have to be with the same employer to claim
  • Receipts aren’t always needed
  • Our average rebate secured for construction workers is over £900

Construction industry tax returns

A self assessment tax return has to be completed by all CIS sub contractors and some PAYE workers. If you work under PAYE only and you have a claim worth £2500 or more in any one tax year a tax return will need to be submitted. If handled correctly filling in a tax return should not be looked upon as a negative and we are here to take care of the whole process for you.

How to make a construction tax claim

We’re experts at helping construction workers claim tax relief on their expenses. We use our knowledge and experience to keep your end of the process as uncomplicated as possible. The qualifications of our accountants are certified by the AAT, giving us professional endorsement, and you extra peace of mind.

Trade specific tax rebate guides:


Start my construction worker tax claim today...

Contact us today & get a FREE eBook

“11 Ways to Pay Less Tax”

1 Fields marked with * are compulsory.

Full name
Email address
Phone number

Please leave this field empty.


2 OR call our tax experts 01228 520477...

3 OR email us at


Back to Top
Back to Top

4.91 Average

54 Reviews


Excellent service with great communication! Would definitely recommend

Posted 1 day ago

Marie Brown

You've made my landlord tax return really easy. I would definitely recommend you.

Posted 4 days ago

Neil Borthwick

Didn’t know I could even claim for my expenses for the last four years. See you next year

Posted 5 days ago


Excellent landlord tax return service. You’ve made it a lot easier than doing it myself and reduced my taxable income saving me money. See you next year. Thanks again.

Posted 2 weeks ago


Great tax return service. Saved me time and money in the end. I’ll be back next year…

Posted 2 weeks ago


Really easy to do, thank you.

Posted 4 weeks ago


Excellent job. Sorted everything out and liaised with our payroll team to resolve queries.

Posted 1 month ago


Excellent service thank you for all the assistance. I will definitely recommend your services to anybody who requires assistance in this regard.

Posted 1 month ago


Great landlord tax return service, quick and very helpful. I will be back next year.

Posted 1 month ago


Really efficient service and easy to apply . Thanks for the help . I will definitely reccomend to someone in the future

Posted 1 month ago