Tax Relief For Expenses Of Employment Guide

Do you incur expenses because of your job? Chances are you’ll be able to claim tax relief.

If you’re an employee and have work-based expenses that are not refunded by your employer, you could be eligible to reclaim tax relief on most of your expenses, such as your business mileage, or use of your home.

Our Expenses of Employment Guide tells you which expenses you can include on your tax rebate claim and how to submit it.

What employment expenses can I claim for?

Many people don’t know what they are entitled to and miss out on their potentially valuable employment expenses tax relief. We’ll work out which of the many tax allowances apply to your employment situation and explain the process of recouping your money.

Some repeatedly successful work expenses claims are:

  • Mileage and travel costs − using your own car or public transport when visiting temporary workplaces (not for normal commuting).
  • Tools and equipment – that you bought for work use.
  • Professional fees – if you’re a member of some professional bodies and unions.
  • Uniform tax relief − can be claimed on the cost of cleaning your own branded work wear or protective clothing.

You can use our free tax guides to discover more.

Who can claim tax relief for expenses of employment?

Anyone who is employed and has expenses because of their job can make a claim. What you can claim tax relief for and how much you can claim depends on your personal circumstances. We can help you work out what you can and cannot claim for, saving you time and effort.

There’s a time limit

You can apply for the excess tax paid during the last four tax years which can add up to a sizeable tax rebate, if you make your claim quickly enough.

What do I need to start?

Records are important, such as expenses sheets which show the number of business miles you have driven. We know what the tax office needs to allow an expenses claim and can talk you through what’s necessary before claiming. When dealing with an expenses claim you may come across an official HMRC form called a P87. Completing a P87 is not the only way a claim can be made, as other formats are also accepted by the tax office.

We make it easy

Figuring out what you can claim for and understanding how you need to deal with HMRC can be tricky, so it makes sense to let Tax Rebate Services do it for you. Our team of fully qualified tax experts lift the complexities and stress from your shoulders. You can have complete peace of mind about our levels of professionalism.

Simply complete the form below, and we’ll do the rest.


Start my tax relief claim today...
  • Fields marked with* are compulsory.

Tax Relief for Expenses Calculator

Use our expenses tax relief calculator to work out how much you can claim

Just enter the rate at which you pay tax, and the total of your job expenses and the tax relief calculator will estimate what you can claim back.

Tax Rebate Calculator
How much could I claim? »

*This calculator only provides an estimate and doesn’t take into consideration any mileage paid by your employer.

Back to Top
Back to Top