Teacher Tax Rebate Guide

If you’re a teacher, you could be paying more than your fair share of tax.

Many teachers are able to claim a tax rebate for professional fees, specialist clothing, and mileage. All teacher tax rebate claims can incorporate the previous four years and carry on saving you on your monthly tax bill with a new tax code.

Our teacher tax rebate guide gives you all the information you need to see which tax reliefs apply to you and how to recover your money.

What can you claim a teacher tax rebate for?

  • Professional fees − you can claim for the subscription fees to many professional bodies, like the NUT and NASUWT. The amounts vary, as each professional organisation has to make its own arrangement with HMRC.
  • Specialist clothing − for example if you’re contractually obliged to teach or supervise pupils for PE or sports lessons, and have to buy sports kit to perform these duties, you can claim tax relief for this clothing.
  • Washing of specialist clothing – if you have to wash specialist clothing, and any uniform that includes your employer’s logo, you can claim an allowance worth £60 per year.
  • Using your own car – you can’t claim for commuting to one permanent place of employment but you may be able to make a claim for other business mileage. For example, you may be a peripatetic teacher who needs to travel to different schools within the community.
  • Using your own home − you can currently claim from £10 per month (without receipts) if you have to use your home for work. This is only permitted if you are required to work from home and it’s not just for your convenience. The allowance covers costs like gas and electricity, not rent or mortgage payments.

We’ve also negotiated successful claims for teachers who have had to buy reference books for research and to prepare class lessons.

More can be found by using our free tax rebate guides.

For most types of claim you’ll normally need some receipts or records, but it’s not a lost cause if they’ve already been recycled. We have a very high claim success rate through negotiating with HMRC.

Who is eligible?

  • All primary and secondary school teachers
  • Lecturers
  • Higher Educational Professionals
  • Teaching assistants

This list is not exhaustive so it’s always worth checking if you are eligible.

Teacher tax rebate example

John is a P.E teacher and called us to help him make an NUT tax relief claim for the last four years. After a quick chat we found out that John regularly spent money on his own sports kit for things like trainers and football boots. We helped John claim back for both his NUT fees and sports related clothing securing a teacher tax rebate of £523. John was pleased he made the call!

Saving you money

After your teacher tax rebate claim is completed you should receive a new tax code which will increase your tax free personal allowance. This will mean you will pay less tax moving forward, unless your circumstances change.

Will claiming affect anything else?

Making a claim for tax relief on your work related expenses should not affect any other payments you receive from the government, like child benefit.

Your employer is not involved in the process at all, as all correspondence is strictly between you as an individual and the Tax Office.

How to claim your teacher tax rebate

You can make a claim yourself or we can do it for you. We specialise in helping teachers and education workers claim back what they’re owed making the process simple and secure. Our qualified accountants have been claiming teacher tax rebates for over 15 years, and we offer all our clients complete peace of mind in terms of our quality of service and professionalism.

Start your claim today by filling in our easy contact form below or dial 01228 520477.


Start my teacher tax claim today...
  • Tell us about yourself

    Fields marked with* are compulsory.
  • Your Address

    Enter your postcode below to find your address.
  • Tell us about your job

Teacher Tax
Rebate Calculator

Are you owed a tax rebate? Find out today...

Just select your industry from the field below and we'll calculate the average rebate.*

Tax Rebate Calculator

*This calculator only provides an average.

Back to Top
Back to Top