What is a 575T form?

The 575T form is a document that needs to be completed if you wish to request a transfer of any unused Married Couple’s Allowance to your spouse or civil partner. It can also be used to contact HM Revenue & Customs if you’d like to transfer a Blind Person’s Allowance.

You can submit the form either online or by post.

When should I fill in a 575T form?

Let’s say that during the 16/17 tax year, your annual income was £11,000 or less, and your partner’s income was between £11,001 and £43,000. In this example, you could transfer £1,100 of your Personal Allowance to them, which will reduce the amount of tax your partner has to pay. This will usually save them £220 over the tax year.

To be eligible for this transfer, you must have been born on or after 6 April 1935, and successfully completed a 575T form.

Can I get a refund of tax we may have overpaid in the past?

Of course. If you think the allowance should have been transferred prior to the current tax year, you can backdate a claim for anything up to the last four financial years. Unfortunately, it is not possible to claim a refund beyond the four years.

It’s also a good time to think about any other tax rebates you may be due. Again, you can only claim as far back as the last four tax years.


Back to Top
Back to Top