What is CWF1?

CWF1 is a form that needs to be completed and submitted to HMRC if you are registering for self employment.

Her Majesty Revenue and Customs (HMRC) requires the CWF1 form so they can create a self assessment record for your business.

The self assessment record created by the CWF1 registration allows you to declare the information HMRC needs to know about your business.

In addition the CWF1 will register you for class 2 national insurance contributions.

The form SA400 if you are setting up your business as a partnership.

If you are not self employed and need to register for self assessment you should submit form SA1.

How do I complete HMRC CWF1?

The CWF1 online is the most popular way to register for self employment purposes. To submit your CWF1 online you will need a business tax account using your government gateway user ID and password to login.

If you don’t have a business tax account you can create one and then submit your CWF1.

You can also post your CWF1 application to HMRC by filling in an on screen form and then printing it off. It’s recommended to have all of the information you need before you start because you can’t save a part completed form.

Finally you can call HMRC who can offer support if you need it over the phone.

What do I need to complete the CWF1?

The CWF1 requires you to enter some basic facts about you and your business or partnership.

You should have ready the following information before your start completing your CWF1:

  • Your full Name.
  • Address.
  • National insurance number.
  • Business name.
  • Business address.
  • Nature of your business.
  • Date your business or partnership started.
  • Your UTR number if you are already registered for self assessment for a reason other than self employment.

CWF1 deadline

The CWF1 registration should be done by the 5th October in your second year of trading. This is to ensure that you register in enough time to submit your tax return without incurring a late registration penalty. If you miss the deadline you could also incur further late penalties and interest on any tax you owe HMRC.

In circumstances where you register late as long as you register for self employment, submit your self assessment tax return by the following 31st January deadline and pay any tax owed by the same date you will typically avoid any penalties.

CWF1 and your UTR number

After your CWF1 has been submitted and processed HMRC will post you a UTR number. The UTR number is unique to your business and is needed when you submit your self assessment tax return.

The UTR number is normally sent within about 10 working days of you making your submission.

CWF1 and previous self employment

If you have been self employed previously you will still need to complete the CWF1 to re-register your self employment. HMRC will generally always you to use the same UTR number that you had in the past.

What to do if your business does not trade

It is possible that you could register for self employment and never actually trade.

If this is the case you must tell HMRC as soon as possible so they can update your self assessment and class 2 national insurance records.

You can let HMRC know by including your businesses trading end date on your final self assessment tax return.

HMRC will send you written notification that you have been de-registered for self employment, self assessment and class 2 national insurance contributions.


Back to Top
Back to Top