Double Taxation Treaties

Double taxation treaties exist between the UK and over 130 countries throughout the world. They are put in place to ensure tax payers do not pay tax on the same income in more than one country.

Our free double taxation treaty guide is here to make a complex subject easier to understand.

What is a UK double taxation treaty?

A double taxation treaty is essentially an arrangement made between two countries or states to ensure that those who are resident in one country or state, but receive wages from another, are not subject to double taxation. The UK has many double taxation treaties in place to protect people from paying tax twice on the same income. Most double taxation treaties follow similar rules, yet each one is specific to the country concerned and is the culmination of intense negotiations between both parties.

You can find a full list of all the double taxation treaties between HMRC and other countries here.

Does a double taxation treaty affect me?

If you are a resident or citizen of the European Union, living and working in the UK, or if you are a resident of a country that has a double taxation treaty with the UK, you may be able to claim a tax allowance. Every individual’s residency situation is different and this may affect your tax position. For this reason it is essential that those people who have dual residency find out about the clauses within the double taxation treaty.

Am I dual resident?

Your status as a dual resident for tax purposes relies on many factors, which are set out in the double taxation treaty between the UK and your other country of residence. The process of establishing your position is both complex and crucial to your financial well-being. At Tax Rebate Services, we understand the fine detail and provide a tailored service to help you with your dual resident tax affairs.

How we can help you understand double taxation treaties and UK non resident tax

Working out your status can be complicated as it depends largely on your own personal circumstances. Our qualified accountants will help you decide your UK non resident tax status, and could also help you to claim back any tax you’re owed from the last four tax years.

If you need help with double taxation treaties and UK non resident tax you can contact us by calling +44 (0)1228 520477, or use the form below to get in touch.

[gravityform id='13' ajax='true']


Back to Top
Back to Top