Teacher Tax Rebates

Teacher Tax Rebates

As a teacher you will probably pay membership into a professional body or teaching union. In most circumstances tax relief can be claimed on the membership fee you pay. You can make a claim for a teacher tax rebate for the last four tax years meaning you could receive a backdated tax rebate.

Which professional bodies can I claim tax relief on?

A teacher tax rebate can be claimed on many but not all professional bodies and unions. Most of the main bodies and unions have agreements in place with HMRC, allowing tax relief on part or all of the membership fee. For example a teacher can claim tax relief on 66% of their annual membership fee.

  • National Union of Teachers – NUT
  • General Teaching Council – GTC
  • National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers -  NASUWT
  • Association of Teachers and Lecturers – ATL
  • University College Union – UCU
  • Educational Institute of Scotland – EIS

As a teacher you can also claim tax relief on other expenses incurred because of your job like:

  • A CRB check
  • Use of car traveling to temporary workplaces and not just one school
  • Specialist clothing like sports kit
  • Washing of specialist clothing
  • Using your own home for work purposes

If you think you could be eligible to make a claim Tax Rebate Services can help you further. We specialise in helping teachers and educational professionals claim back what they are entitled to.

Call today on 0845 094 0005 or 01228 520477. We will be happy to help.

Comments are closed.