I am seconded to the UK. Can I claim a tax rebate?

If you are seconded to work in the UK by your employer it’s likely you will be entitled to claim tax back for the year in which you leave, and for some of your living expenses whilst in the UK.

This applies to a wide range of professions but we have found that IT professionals are, generally, most affected.

If you work for a company based outside of the UK and are seconded to work in the UK for a time, you would typically be paid in GBP and pay UK income tax under PAYE (Pay As You Earn scheme). There is a strong chance that you could overpay during your time in the UK and could be owed hundreds, sometimes thousands, of pounds once your secondment comes to an end.

If I am on secondment, am I entitled to UK tax back?

The UK tax year runs from April 6th until April 5th. Unless your period of secondment comes to an end very close to the end of the tax year, you wouldn’t have received the full Personal Allowance for UK workers. Personal Allowance being the tax free entitlement up to the current threshold that every UK worker is entitled to. We can organise to have this refunded to you.

Some expenses you might have incurred while in the UK could be tax deductible:

  • Travel expenses to and from work
  • Rent
  • Council Tax

These could all be offset against your income, meaning that your tax liability will be lower.

Do I qualify for a secondment tax rebate?

To be eligible you must meet the criteria set out in HMRC legislation under EIM77010.

You might qualify if your personal circumstances are that:

  • You normally reside outside of the UK and were seconded to work in the UK division for a period.
  • The duration of the secondment was 24 months or under (there are exceptions and we can assist you with this).
  • You were paid in GBP and were deducted tax under PAYE.
  • The period of secondment in the UK finished within the last four tax years.

To claim a tax rebate due to secondment status you must make an official claim which is usually submitted on a self assessment tax return.


Back to Top
Back to Top