How To Claim Expenses Guide

If you’re employed and have expenses because of your job, you will normally be entitled to make a claim for work expenses on your taxes under PAYE.

How you claim expenses depends on the type of work expenses you have incurred, and the amount you are needing to claim back. There are two ways you can claim your work expenses on taxes, which are through correspondence under the PAYE system or by completing a self assessment tax return.

How to claim expenses under PAYE

Having work expenses which total less than £2500 per tax year, will mean you can make an expenses claim by way of correspondence. The type of work expenses you are claiming will dictate what evidence you need to provide with your expenses claim.

How to claim expenses under Self Assessment

If your work expenses total £2500 or more per tax year, you will usually need to complete a self assessment tax return. The quickest and safest method to complete your tax return is online. When a tax return has been issued by the tax office you will have to complete it within a strict timescale, or you will be fined a late filing penalty.

What work expenses can I claim for?

Tax relief can be claimed back on several different kinds of work expenses and these include:

  • Petrol expenses
  • Travelling expenses
  • Tool expenses
  • Professional and Union fees
  • Uniform laundering

Claiming work expenses example

Mr Dodd is salesman and is claiming petrol expenses because he uses his own car to travel to different temporary workplaces. His petrol expenses total £3300 which means the tax office require a self assessment tax return to be completed. Mr Dodd is a not a higher rate tax payer and gets 20% tax relief on his petrol expenses which means he should be entitled to a tax rebate in the region of £660.

How to claim your work expenses

Making a claim for work related expenses can be daunting and complicated. It’s vital you know what you can claim for, and only try and claim back legitimate expenses. Tax Rebate Services has many years of expertise in reclaiming job related expenses, and uses qualified accountants to ensure your claim is dealt with safely, securely, and in the shortest time.



Are you due a tax rebate?

Contact us today & get a FREE eBook

“11 Ways to Pay Less Tax”

1 Just fill out the form below and we’ll do the rest…

Fields marked with * are compulsory.

Tell us about yourself
Full Name*
Phone number

Address Look Up

Address Line 1*

Address Line 2
Town or City

Post Code*

Tell us about your job
What’s your job title?*
Do you wash your own uniform or protective clothing for work?*

 Yes No

How many years have you washed your own uniform or protective clothing for work?
Do you travel to different places of work using your own car or public transport? For example a builder traveling to different building sites
 Yes No
What’s your tax code taken from a recent payslip? For example 1234L

Please leave this field empty.



2 OR call our tax experts 0845 094 0005 or 01228 520477…

3 OR email us at



Tony Shanks
Operations Director
Member of the ATT


If you enjoyed this article please share it with your friends:


Tax Refund Calculator

To find out how much you could be owed - CLICK HERE


Back to Top
Back to Top