Doctors Tax Relief

If you’re a Doctor you could be due a tax rebate.

Most doctors are eligible to claim tax relief for one or more reasons.  Some of the most common reasons for a doctor to be entitled to tax relief are for:

1. Membership into a professional fees like the GMC.

2. The cost of professional indemnity insurance into the MDU for example.

3. Using your own car to travel to temporary workplaces. This could be travelling between more than one hospital or clinic. 

Types of doctors tax relief explained

Doctors tax relief for professional fees…


  • You meet the cost of the professional fee into an allowable professional body
  • You are not reimbursed for the cost of the allowable professional fee

Most, but not all, professional bodies that doctors may pay in to have an agreement with HMRC that allows for tax relief, you should check with HMRC before making a claim that the professional fees you pay are eligible for tax relief.

Doctors tax relief for professional Indemnity Insurance …


  • You meet the cost of the allowable professional indemnity insurance
  • You are not reimbursed for the cost of the allowable Professional Indemnity Insurance by your employer

As with claiming tax relief for professional fees, you can check with HMRC that the professional indemnity insurance company you pay is on their allowable list before you make a claim. We can do this for you as part of your claim.

Tax code change

If you make a  tax relief claim for professional fees and/or professional indemnity insurance, your tax code can be changed to allow for the tax relief you are entitled to. This means you’ll make a continued saving in the future.

Doctors tax relief for business use of car …


  • You use your own car for work purposes. This does not include normal commuting to one place of employment but refers to travel between different locations, such as different clinics, hospitals or patients homes, as part of your job. Business mileage can also be accrued if your employer requires that you move workplace to another location for a period that lasts, or is expected to last, for less than 24 months.
  • Even if your employer pays you for mileage travelled for work purposes you can still claim tax relief if you are not reimbursed HMRC’s full mileage rate (45p per mile up to 10000 miles and 25p thereafter) or if you are paid the full mileage rate but it is taxed.

Doctors tax relief for equipment 


  • The equipment is purchased solely for work purposes
  • The cost of the equipment is not reimbursed by your employer
  • Proof of purchase is usually needed showing the date of purchase and cost

How much can I claim back?

The amount of tax relief you can claim for equipment purchases depends on which tax year the purchase was made and if a capital allowances claim has to be made for the purchase. A guideline would be 15% to 20% of the purchase total, depending on which tax bracket you pay tax in.

How do I make a claim?

Tax Rebate Services specialises in helping Doctors and Medical Professionals claim back the tax relief they are entitled to. We use qualified experts to make the process simple and easy for you. If you submit a self assessment tax return we can help you with this too, and make any changes to previous returns to claim back anything you have missed.



Are you owed a tax rebate? Find out today…

Contact us today & get a FREE eBook

“11 Ways to Pay Less Tax”

1 Fields marked with * are compulsory.

Tell us about yourself
Full Name*
Phone Number

Address Look Up

Address Line 1*

Address Line 2
Town or City

Post Code*

Tell us about your job
What’s your job title?*
In what year did you start working in your profession?
Do you wash your own uniform or protective clothing for work use?
 Yes No
Do you use your own car for work other than normal commuting?
 Yes No
What’s your tax code taken from a recent payslip? For example 1234L

Please leave this field empty.



2 OR call our tax experts 01228 520477

3 OR email us at



Tony Shanks
Operations Director
Member of the ATT


If you enjoyed this article please share it with your friends:


Tax Refund Calculator

To find out how much you could be owed - CLICK HERE


Back to Top
Back to Top

4.91 Average

54 Reviews


Excellent service with great communication! Would definitely recommend

Posted 1 day ago

Marie Brown

You've made my landlord tax return really easy. I would definitely recommend you.

Posted 4 days ago

Neil Borthwick

Didn’t know I could even claim for my expenses for the last four years. See you next year

Posted 5 days ago


Excellent landlord tax return service. You’ve made it a lot easier than doing it myself and reduced my taxable income saving me money. See you next year. Thanks again.

Posted 2 weeks ago


Great tax return service. Saved me time and money in the end. I’ll be back next year…

Posted 2 weeks ago


Really easy to do, thank you.

Posted 4 weeks ago


Excellent job. Sorted everything out and liaised with our payroll team to resolve queries.

Posted 1 month ago


Excellent service thank you for all the assistance. I will definitely recommend your services to anybody who requires assistance in this regard.

Posted 1 month ago


Great landlord tax return service, quick and very helpful. I will be back next year.

Posted 1 month ago


Really efficient service and easy to apply . Thanks for the help . I will definitely reccomend to someone in the future

Posted 1 month ago