Are You Due A Tax Rebate?

Contact us today & get a FREE eBook

"11 Ways to Pay Less Tax"

Please leave this field empty.

Doctors Tax Relief

If you’re a Doctor and have job related expenses you could be due a tax rebate.

Most doctors are eligible to claim tax relief for one or more reasons.  Some of the most common reasons for a doctor to be entitled to tax relief are if they pay professional fees and/or professional indemnity insurance. Another criterion that could entitle a doctor to tax relief is if they use their own car for work purposes, in this instance they may be able to claim a tax rebate for business mileage travelled. A doctor who is required to buy their own medical equipment, for example a stethoscope, can also often claim tax relief.

Types Of Doctors Tax Relief

Doctors Tax Relief For Professional Fees …


  • You meet the cost of the professional fee into an allowable professional body
  • You are not reimbursed for the cost of the allowable professional fee

Most, but not all, professional bodies that doctors may pay in to have an agreement with HMRC that allows for tax relief, you should check with HMRC before making a claim that the professional fees you pay are eligible for tax relief.

Doctors Tax Relief For Professional Indemnity Insurance …


  • You meet the cost of the allowable professional indemnity insurance
  • You are not reimbursed for the cost of the allowable Professional Indemnity Insurance by your employer

As with claiming tax relief for professional fees, you should check with HMRC that the professional indemnity insurance company you pay is on their allowable list before you make a claim.

If you make a  tax relief claim for professional fees and/or professional indemnity insurance, your tax code can be changed which will result in you paying less tax in future to allow for the tax relief you are entitled to.

Doctors Tax Relief For Business Use Of Car …


  • You use your own car for work purposes. This does not include normal commuting to one place of employment but refers to travel between different locations, such as different clinics, hospitals or patients homes, as part of your job. Business mileage can also be accrued if your employer requires that you move workplace to another location for a period that lasts, or is expected to last, for less than 24 months.
  • Even if your employer pays you for mileage travelled for work purposes you can still claim tax relief if you are not reimbursed HMRC’s full mileage rate (45p per mile up to 10000 miles and 25p thereafter) or if you are paid the full mileage rate but it is taxed.

Doctors Tax Relief For Equipment Purchased For Work Use …


  • The equipment is purchased solely for work purposes
  • The cost of the equipment is not reimbursed by your employer
  • Proof of purchase is usually needed showing the date of purchase and cost

How Much Can I Claim Back?

The amount of tax relief you can claim for equipment purchases depends on which tax year the purchase was made and if a capital allowances claim has to be made for the purchase. A guideline would be 15% to 20% of the purchase total, depending on which tax bracket you pay tax in.

How Do I Make A Claim?

Tax Rebate Services specialises in helping Doctors and Medical Professionals claim back the tax relief they are entitled to. We use qualified experts to make the process simple and easy for you.

Call today on 0845 094 0005 or 01228 520477 or fill in a contact form here and we will call or email you back.

Tony Shanks


Help the NSPCC…

We’re proud to support the NSPCC by donating 1% of all net profits received from all our Tax Rebate Services. Use our service and help a child.

Back to Top